News
 
Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Welcome to the Heritage House

The Heritage House will be open for free tours on Sunday, June 2, from 3pm-5pm, with docent led tours at 3pm and 4pm.  Located at 303 South O’Connor, the Heritage House was built in 1912 for the C.P. Schulze family.  It is a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark.

 

Mary’s Playhouse in the backyard garden area is now open for visitors as well.  Originally built as a chicken coop, this building was adapted as a playhouse for young Mary Schulze in the 1920s.  Many original toys and items are included in the display.

 

Group tours may also be arranged for alternate days and time. Call 972-252-3838 for details.

 

To see photos of the Heritage House, visit www.irvingheritage.com.  For more information, contact 972-252-3838.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Ice Cream Social

The Irving Heritage Society will host an ice cream social on Sunday, May 5, on the front lawn of the Heritage House at 303 South O’Connor.  A general meeting beginning at 2pm will include the election and installation of officers for the upcoming year, followed by the refreshments.  A croquet set will be available for a round or two for those wishing to play.

 

Tours of the Heritage House and Mary’s Playhouse will be conducted from 3pm to 5pm.   The event is free and the pubic is welcome.

 

For more information, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Friends and Family Game Night

Friends and Family Game Night will kick off the 12th Annual Celebrating Irving:  The City and The Man events on Friday, April 5th.  The activities will be held at the Lively Pointe Youth Center, 909 North O’Connor Road, from 6pm-8:30pm.  All activities are free, food will be served and prizes awarded.  Youth 11 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult.

 

Teen jams are a tradition at Lively Pointe with our youth and Celebrating Irving’s rich history is a tradition for the Irving Heritage Society.  An evening of card and board games will include many games from the past, and some with a new twist.  

 

These events are sponsored by the Irving Heritage Society, Irving Public Library, Irving Art Association, Irving Black Arts Association, Irving Independent School District, Boy Scout Troop 773, Irving Arts Center, and the City of Irving. Funded by Irving ShareTank and funded in part by the City of Irving through the Irving Arts Board.  For more information, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Rick Fairless on one of his special bikes.

Cruisin’ Through Irving History will be the theme of the Heritage House tours on Sunday, April 7.  Rick Fairless grew up in Irving and is the owner of Big State Fountain Grill as well as several other businesses like Strokers Dallas, known for their magnificent motorcycles. Rick began riding bikes on the streets of Irving at the age of 9 years of age and has never lost his love for them.  

 

For 20 years, he worked for his uncle’s Roach Paint Store, which later became Glidden Paints.  Working up the ladder and in various departments over the years, Rick became the number one salesman in the company.  In 1996 he left the paint business to establish an Easyriders franchise as his own business. This became Strokers Dallas in 2002 and is patronized by bike owners from all parts of the country.

 

In 2014, Rick Fairless and his wife Susan made a decision to save Big State Fountain Grill as it filled their hearts with so many memories of their youth in Irving.  Located in downtown Irving, Big State has been an Irving tradition since 1948.

 

Rick will be on hand part of the time of the free tours of the Heritage House and Mary’s Playhouse which are from 3pm-5pm. Look for the beautiful old house built in 1912 with a fancy Rick Fairless bike parked out in front.

 

For more information, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Welcome to the Heritage House

The house built in 1912 by C.P. Schulze, brother of one of the co-founders of Irving, is one of the oldest homes in Irving.  It was designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1986.  The Heritage House is located at 303 South O’Connor and will begin the first Sunday monthly tours from 3pm-5pm, with docent led tours at 3pm and 4pm. Admission is free.

 

Mary’s Playhouse, located in the back garden area, was once a chicken coop.  It was converted into a playhouse for the young Mary Schulze in the 1920’s.  It contains various vintage toys, many of them  belonging to Mary and her brother Charles.   

 

For more information visit www.irvingheritage.com or call  972-252-3838.  Group tours may also be arranged at alternate times.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Valentine Tea punch bowl

VINTAGE VALENTINE TEA – SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2019

IRVING HERITAGE HOUSE

303 SOUTH O’CONNOR

2PM-4PM

The Irving Index newspaper article of Thursday, February 19, 1914, reported:

“Mr. and Mrs. Charles Percy Schulze threw open their beautiful new home Saturday evening to one hundred and fifty invited guests.  The housewarming was in the nature of a Valentine Party – the decorations and color scheme throughout being hearts, arrows and cupid in reds and yellows.”

 

The same description fits the upcoming event at the former Schulze home now called the Heritage House, 303 South O’Connor, as the Irving Heritage Society recreates that party of 1914 with their annual Vintage Valentine Tea.  The public is invited to share in this special event on Sunday, February 10, from 2pm-4pm.  Reservations are not required and admission is free. 

 

Just as in the 1914 article description, there will be strings of hearts from the chandeliers.  The lace draperies at the windows and dining table will have festoons of hearts and arrows.  The tea recipes have been checked, the silver polished and the Irving Heritage Society Sweetheart is secretly being selected as the organization prepares for this favorite traditional event.

 

 

For more information, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Joe's Coffee Shop

The Irving Heritage Society will host their general membership meeting and program on Tuesday, January 29, following a spaghetti supper at 6:30pm at Joe’s Coffee Shop, 425 West Irving Blvd.   Jennifer Landry, Director of Irving Museums will present a program on the latest update of the Irving Archives and Museum.  This new museum is under construction just down the street from Joe’s in the Heritage District and is scheduled to be opened in the fall.

 

The spaghetti supper will be free to Heritage Society members or a $5 donation for guests.  Seating is limited and reservations are needed by Jan. 22 by calling 972-252-3838.  Door prizes will be awarded including two pies from Joe’s Coffee Shop.  

 

The Irving Archives and Museum will be a 22,000 square foot exhibition space.  In addition to the central exhibitions, it will also contain a temporary exhibit gallery for national traveling exhibits from the Smithsonian and others, a community space, a variety of exhibitions, a Spark!Lab, the archives, and a museum store. Attendees will learn the about the details, as well as items sought for some of the exhibits.

 

For more information on the Irving Heritage Society, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Welcome to the Heritage House

The Heritage House will be decorated and open for tours on Sunday, December 2, from 3pm-5pm with docent led tours at 3pm and 4pm.  Located at 303 South O’Connor, the home was built in 1912 for the C.P. Schulze family.  It was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1986.  Admission is free. Visitors will also receive a complimentary copy of the Irving history book “Irving, Texas:  From Rails to Wings.”

 

Mary’s Playhouse in the backyard garden area will also be open for visitors to visit.  Originally built as a chicken coop, the building was converted into a playhouse for the young Mary Schulze in the 1920’s.

 

 For more information visit www.irvingheritage.com or call  972-252-3838.  Group tours may also be arranged at alternate times.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Bob Willis 1944

The November 4, Sunday, tours of the Irving Heritage House will feature an exhibit of memorabilia of the Hump pilot Robert L. Willis in honor of the upcoming Veterans Day.  Located at 303 South O’Connor, the Heritage House and Mary’s Playhouse will be open for free tours from 3pm -5pm with docent led tours at 3pm and 4pm.  Admission is free.

 

The family of Robert L. Willis will share photographs, records and other personal items of his time as one of the Hump pilots from 1942-1945.  Mr. Willis flew the Hump 105 trips in one year.  He was awarded the Distinguished Flyer Medal.  The Hump pilots were a select group of Allied pilots who flew the China Burma India route known as The Hump over the Himalayan Mountains during World War II.   This world’s tallest mountain chain also provided extremely severe weather, thus creating an extremely dangerous and challenging flight route from India to China for transporting supplies.

 

For more information, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.  The public is invited to see this special exhibit while touring the Heritage House.  Complimentary copies of the book “From Rails to Wings” by Norma Stanton will be given to all visitors during the exhibit.

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Quilt of Valor

The Irving Quilt Guild will host a Quilt of Valor exhibit at the Irving Heritage House during the Oct. 7 first Sunday monthly tour from 3pm-5pm.  Located at 303 South O’Connor, the Heritage House is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark and was built in 1912.  Tour admission as well as participation in the Quilt of Valor project are free and open to the public.

 

Guests may sign quilt blocks with their name and/or message to the military.  The blocks will become part of the next Quilt of Valor created by the Irving Quilt Guild.  This national project involves the creation of quilts to honor and comfort our physically and mentally wounded service men and women in all branches, both active and retired.

 

Visitors will also be able to tour Mary’s Playhouse in the back garden area.  Originally built as a chicken coop, it was adapted as a playhouse for the young Schulze children in the 1920’s.

 

For additional information, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.